3/25/11

Psalm 71

1  In you, O LORD, I refuge take;
    Ashamed let me not be;
2  O save me in your righteousness,
    Give ear, and rescue me.

3  O be my rock, my dwelling place,
    my constant safe resort.
    You my salvation have ordained;
    You are my rock and fort.

4  Free me, my God, from wicked hands,
    Hands cruel and unjust;
5  You, Lord Jehovah, are my hope;
    From youth you are my trust.

6  For I have been sustained by you
    through birth and early days;
    Brought from my mother's womb by you,
    I'll give you constant praise.

7  To many I a wonder am;
    You are my refuge strong.
8  My mouth is brimming with your praise
    and honor all day long.

9  Do not reject me in the time
    when old age I shall see;
    And in my days of failing strength
    do not abandon me.

10 For those who are my enemies
    against me evil speak;
    Those who are watching for my life
    united counsel seek.

11 They say, "God has forsaken him!"
     Pursue him!  None will save!"
12 O God, do not be far from me;
    My God, your help I crave.

13 Let adversaries of my soul
    disgraced and wasted be,
    All covered with reproach and shame
    who seek to injure me.

14 But I with lasting confidence
    will hope through all my days,
    And I will add still more and more
    O God, to all your praise.

15 All day my mouth your righteousness
    and your salvation show,
    For proofs of them are far beyond
    the numbers which I know.

16 For I will go forth in the strength
    of you, Jehovah Lord;
    Your righteousness, and yours alone,
    abroad I will record.

17 O God, I have been taught by you
    ev'n from my days of youth;
    And all the wonders you have done
    I still declare as truth.

18 So now, when I am old and gray,
    O God, forsake me not,
    Until your strength and power
    I have each generation taught.

19 Your perfect righteousness, O God,
    The heights of heav'n exceeds;
    O who is like to you, who has
    performed such mighty deeds?

20 You who before have made me see
    Much evil and distress
    Will me revive and bring me up
    from depths which me depress.

21 Increase my greatness, turn again,
    And comfort to me bring.
22 Then with a harp I'll give You thanks;
    my God, your truth I'll sing.

   O Holy One of Israel, with harp
    your psalms I'll bring;
23 My lips will shout; my ransomed soul
    in psalms to you will sing.

24 My tongue will also celebrate
    your justice all day long;
    For they are humbled and ashamed
    who seek to do me wrong.

  
Psalm (adapted from The Book of Psalms for Singing)       Sheet Music: Contemplation  C. M.



No comments:

Share |