3/04/11

Psalm 50

A psalm of Asaph          

Tune: Diademata S.M.D.  Crown Him with many crowns,
The Lamb upon His throne.

Ps.50
1 The mighty God, the LORD, has spoken unto all;
   from rising to the setting sun, he unto earth does call.
2 From Zion his own hill, where perfect beauty dwells,
   Jehovah has his glory shown, in brightness that excels.

3 Our God shall surely come, and silence shall not keep;
   before him fire shall waste, and storms tempestuous round him sweep.
4 He to the heav'ns above shall then send forth his call,
   and like-wise to the earth, that he may judge his people all.

5 "Together let my saints unto me gathered be;
   those that by sacrifice have made a covenant with me."
6 Then shall the heav'ns declare his righteousness abroad;
   because the Lord himself is judge, yea, none is judge, but God. [Selah]

7 "O you my people hear; I'll speak and testify
   against you, O my Israel for God, your God am I.
8 For sacrifices I no blame will on you lay,
   nor for burnt offerings of yours before me every day.

9   "I'll take no calf nor goat which stalls or pens confine;
10 for cattle on a thousand hills and all wild beasts are mine.
11 The birds of mountains great are all to me well known;
     the beasts that roam the field untamed they, too, are all my own.

12 "Then if I hungry were I'd not report to you,
     because the world belongs to me and all that's in it too.
13 Will I eat flesh of bulls? Or goats' blood drink will I?
14 Make thanks your sacrifice, and pay your vows to God most high.

5 "Together let my saints unto me gathered be;
 
    those that by sacrifice have made a covenant with me."
15 "And you shall call on me when troublous days draw nigh;
to you I'll give deliverance; you shall me glorify."

16 But to the wicked man, says God, "How do you dare
     to take my cov'nant in your mouth, my statutes to declare
17 because you even hate the warnings you have heard,
     and you have cast behind your back the teachings of my word?

18 "You've given your consent when you a thief have seen,
     and with the vile adulterer you have partaker been.
19 Your mouth to ill is giv'n; by your tongue lies you frame.
20 You evil of your brother speak, your mother's son defame.

21 "And when I silent am about these things you do,
     within your wicked heart you think that I am just like you.
     So I will you rebuke and charge you to your face
     as I before you set your sins that lead to your disgrace.

22 "Now you that God forget, consider this with care,
     lest I when there is none to save should you in pieces tear.
23 He honors me who brings the sacrifice of praise;
     I'll God's salvation show to him who orders right his ways."

-- adapted from the Scottish Psalter 1650 and unpublished material of Charles McBurney

3 comments:

Harlan Paulson said...

Great commentary on this Psalm -

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/beware-of-serving-god

Harlan Paulson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harlan Paulson said...

To use this SMD tune verse 5 can be sung before verse 15.

Share |