3/02/11

Psalm 49

Ps.49


1 Hear this, all you peoples hear;

Earth's inhabitants, give ear;

2 All of high and low degree,

Rich and poor, give ear to me.



3 For my mouth shall wisdom speak:

Knowledge with my heart I'll seek,

4 Lend to parables my ear,

With the harp make dark things clear.



5 Why should I to fear give way

When I see the evil day,

When with wickedness my foes

Shall surround me and oppose?



6 They that trust in treasured gold,

Though they boast of wealth untold,

7 None can bid his brother live,

None to God a ransom give;



8 Life's redemption--high it's price!

Nothing can for it suffice,

9 That from death one should be free

And corruption never see.



10 For alike before their eyes

Die the foolish and the wise,

Then their riches' hoarded heap,

Other hands in turn shall keep.



11 Yet within their heart they say

That their houses are for aye,

That their dwelling places grand

Shall for generations stand.



To their lands they give their name,

In the hope of lasting fame;

12 But man's honor quickly flies.

He, like beasts that perish, dies.



13 Though this folly marks their ways,

Though the world their sayings praise,

14 In the grave like sheep they're laid;

Death their shepherd there is made.



O'er them soon shall rule the just,

All their beauty turn to dust;

15 But from death God will retrieve,

To Himself my soul receive.



16 Let no fear disturb your peace;

Though one's house and wealth increase,

17 Death shall all his glory end;

Naughty shall after him descend.



18 Though the world his praise will tell--

When he to himself does well,

And though while of life possessed,

He his soul had always blest--



19 With his fathers he shall lie,

Where no light shall meet their eye.

20 Man in honor when not wise,

Like the beasts that perish, dies.


A Psalm of the Songs of Korah

Tune: Mercy 77.77 (Cast your Burdens on the LORD)



No comments:

Share |