3/05/11

Psalm 51

Ps.51
A psalm of David when Nathan the prophet came to him after he had consorted with Bathsheba

1 O God your cov'nant love recall
   and mercy show to me;
   in your abounding love blot out
   all my iniquity.

2 Cleanse me from sin, completely wash
   from my iniquity;
3 I'm conscious of my wickedness;
   my sin I always see.

4 'Gainst you, you only, have I sinned,
   done evil in your sight;
   so when you speak you're free of blame;
   your judgement is most right.

5 Lo! I was guilty from my birth;
   conceived was I in sin.
6 Lo! Uprightness in heart you seek:
   so plant it deep within.

7 With hyssop you'll remove my sin
   and so I will be clean;
   I will be whiter than the snow
   when washed by you I've been.

8 You'll let me hear rejoicing cries,
   and bones you've crushed will dance.
9 O hide your face far from my sins,
   and my guilt all erase.

10 Create in me a clean heart, God;
     my spirit upright make.
11 Cast me not from you, nor from me
     your Holy Spirit take.

12 O your salvation's joy restore;
     my spirit willing keep.
13 Then I'll your ways transgressors teach,
     and they for you will seek.

14 O God of my salvation God,
     free me from guilt of blood;
     then of your perfect righteousness
     my tongue shall sing aloud.

15 My lips now open, sovereign Lord,
     your praise to speak abroad;
16 no beast in sacrifice you seek,
     else offer it I would.

     With off'rings burnt you are not pleased:
17 God's sacrifices are
     a broken spirit, contrite heart;
     these you'll not spurn, O God.

18 Show good to Zion in your love;
     Build up Jerus'lem's walls.
19 Then lawful sacrifice will please;
     they'll bring you choice young bulls.
      Tune: Herbert C.M.

No comments:

Share |