3/12/11

Psalm 59

For the director of music. Destroy not. Of David. A miktam.
When Saul sent men to watch David's house in order to kill him.

1 My God, O save me from my foes;
   put me beyond their reach.
2 Deliver me from evil ones,
   these men who thirst for blood.

3 See! strong ones lie in wait for me,
   combined against my life;
   but not for any sin, O LORD,
   nor wrong that I have done.

4 Though I am guiltless, still they run
   and move in for the kill.
   Arouse yourself to help, and look!
5 LORD God of Hosts awake!

   Yes, wake to punish nations all,
   O God of Israel;
   no mercy show to any who
   deceitfully rebel.

6 At night they come; they howl like dogs,
   and round the city prowl.
7 O see their threats: their lips are swords,
   for "Who will hear?" they say.

8 But you, O LORD, will laugh at them;
   at nations all you'll mock!
9 O you, my Strength, I'll wait on you:
   God is my fortress rock.

10 According to his cov'nant love
     my God will come to me;
     God will permit me on my foes
     to look triumphantly.

11 But, lest my people should forget,
     slay not my foes at once;
     them scatter first, then cast them down,
     O sovereign Lord, our Shield.

12 The words they speak are always sin--
     that which comes from their mouth.
     So take them in their pride, for lies
     and curses they repeat.

13 Destroy in wrath, destroy, that they
     may be no more at all.
     Then men will know throughout the earth
     that God in Jacob rules.

14 At night they come; they howl like dogs,
     and round the city prowl.
15 They wander to and fro for food,
      and, hungry, stay all night.

16 But, as for me, I'll sing aloud
     of your most mighty strength;
     yes, in the morning I will sing
     of your sure cov'nant love.

     For you have been my fortress strong,
     my refuge in distress.
17 My Strength, I'll praise you; O my God,
     my fortress, God of love.

No comments:

Share |