3/22/11

Psalm 69

Ps.69
To the choir director. according to Soshannim. A psalm of David.

1 Save me, God! For waters rise up to my neck.
2 I'm sinking in mud, and no foothold can find;
   the deep flooding waters sweep over my soul;
3 I'm weary from crying; my throat is inflamed.

   My eyesight is failing as I wait for God.
4 My foes are so many and hate without cause;
   those wanting me dead are all treacherous foes,
   so they make me pay back what I did not take.

5 O God you know well that I'm not free of sin;
   my guilty misdeeds are not hidden from you;
6 but let those who trust you, O Lord GOD of hosts,
   not be disappointed because of my sake.

   Yes, let those who seek you, O Is-ra-el's God,
   not be shamed, defeated, because of my sake,
7 because for your sake I have borne this reproach;
   for your sake my face is now covered with shame.

8 I have to my brothers a stranger become,
   a foreigner I to my own mother's sons.
9 It's zeal for your house that has eaten me up:
   the insults intended for you fall on me.

10 I wept and I fasted, but they scoffed at me;
11 I put on rough sackcloth, they made me a joke;
12 they in public places speak evil of me;
    and drunkards sing songs that revile my name.

13 Yet I pray to you, LORD, for you're well disposed;
     O God, in your love send your sure help to me.
14 Lift me from the mud so that I  do not sink;
     O save from my foes, from the watery depths.

15 O let not the floodwaters sweep me away,
     the deep me engulf, and the pit close o'er me.
16 But answer me, LORD, in your covenant love,
     and in your great mercy come now to my aid.

17 O hide not your face from your servant in need;
18 give answer with speed; and come near to redeem.
19 Free me from my foes for you know my reproach,
     my shame and dishonour; you see all my foes.

20 Reproaches my heart break; I am in despair;
     for pity and comfort I hope, but find none.
21 They offer to me bitter gall as my food,
      and vinegar give me to quench my great thirst.

22 The place where they eat meals - may it be a snare;
     the place where they feel safe - may it be a trap;
23 and may their eyes dim so that they cannot see;
     may their backs be trembling so that they collapse.

24 On them pour your wrath, yes, your anger most hot.
25 Their dwellings break down and leave none in their tents.
26 For they persecute those chastised by your hand;
     they jest at the pain of those wounded by you.

27 Add to all their evil the evil it brings;
     let them have no share in your pardoning grace.
28 Let them be deleted from your book of life;
     inscribe not their names with the names of the just.

29 Afflicted, in pain, God, your help keeps me safe.
30 I'll sing to God's name and exalt him with praise.
31 This will please the LORD more than best fattened beasts,
     than oxen and bulls each with horns and with hooves.

32 The humble will see this, with gladness rejoice;
      and those who seek God find their hearts are revived.
33 The LORD hears the poor and his captives spurns not;
34 so creatures of heaven and earth praise his name.

      Let seas and sea creatures his praises raise too;
35 for God will save Zion, restore Judah's towns.
36 His servants, their children, will dwell there secure;
     yes, all those who love him will dwell with him there.

3 comments:

Harlan Paulson said...

tune: Montgomery (11.11.11.11)

Harlan Paulson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harlan Paulson said...

2nd Tune: How Firm a Foundation

Share |