3/08/11

Psalm 55



1 Give ear to this my prayer, O God,
and hide not from my cry.
2 Give answer, for I cannot rest
but must complain and sigh,
3 because I hear the voice of foes, 
because the wicked press;
for they in anger bear a grudge
and on me bring distress.

4 Deep anguish is within my heart;
death's terrors o'er me roll.
5 Great trembling, fearfulness, and dread
have overwhelmed my soul.
6 I cried, "O that I, like a dove,
had wings to fly away.
Then would I flee and try to find
a restful place to stay.

7 "Lo, I would wander far and lodge
in some lone desert waste;
8 from stormy wind and tempest high
I would escape in haste."
9 O swallow up their tongues, O Lord;
confuse them and divide;
for in the city I've seen strife
and violence abide.

10 For day and night upon her walls
the city they surround,
while mischief and iniquity
inside of her is found.
11 A realm of vast destruction thrives
within her very heart,
and from her streets oppression, fraud,
and graft do not depart.

12 It was no foe reproaching me,
for that I could endure;
it was no hater rising up, 
or I could hide secure;
13 But it was you, a man, a friend,
my colleague all along;
14 we shared sweet fellowship and walked
to God's house in the throng.

15 Let death o'ertake them; to the pit
alive let them depart;
for wickedness is in their house
and lives within their heart.
16 I'll call on God; the LORD will save;
17 I will complain and sigh
at ev'ning, morning, and at noon,
and he will hear my cry.


18 He will redeem my soul in love
that I in peace may be
from all the war against me waged,
for many strive with me.

19 Yes, God will hear and answer them;
he sits enthroned of old;
for them there is no change of heart;
No fear of God they hold.

20 He raised his hands against the ones
who were at peace with him.
The covenant which he had sworn
he broke at his own whim.

21 Though smooth as butter was his speech,
within his heart was war;
though soft as oil the words he spoke,
a naked sword they bore.

22 O cast your burden on the LORD,
and he shall you sustain;
yes, he makes sure that still unmoved
the righteous shall remain.

23 But you, O God, will bring them down
the pit of woe to view.
false killers live not half their days.
but I will trust in you.

2 comments:

Harlan Paulson said...

"David's experience of a false friend is extremely moving, and reminds us of the poignant experience of Christ.
Fear (v v1-8), fury (v v9-15) and faith (v v16-23) may be said to characterize the psalm.
'Fear only leads to desire for flight.
Fury only emphasizes the consciousness of wrong.
Faith alone creates courage'" (G.Campbell Morgan)

from The Complete Book of Psalms for Singing by Roland Ward.

Harlan Paulson said...

Vox dilecti CMD

Share |