2/21/11

Psalm 42

We use the tune St. Agnes C M "Jesus the very thought of thee"

1 As pants the deer for water-brooks,
   my soul pants God, for you
2 for God, the living God, I thirst:
   when shall God's face I view?

3 Both day and night, I weep, can't eat
  "Where is your God?" men cry.
4 These things I have upon my heart
   in mind keep constantly.

   For to God's house with multitudes
   I'd gladly march along,
   with shouts of joy and giving thanks
   among the festive throng.

5 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
  Why in me so dismayed?
  O trust in God, you'll praise him yet
  to you he'll send his aid.


6 My God, I will remember you
  though I am cast down still,
  while near the Jordan, Hermon's range
  close by to Little Hill.

7 As plunging waters constantly
  resound in pitch-black caves,
  so o'er my head have now come up
  your breakers and your waves.

8 Each day the Lord maintains his love,
  I'll sing his song each night:
  my prayer to God by whom I live.
9 To God my Rock I'll speak:

    "Why have you so forgotten me,
    why must I always sigh?"
10 Pressed down and crushed by jeering foes,
    "Where is your God?" they cry.

11 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
    Why in me so dismayed?
    O trust in God, you'll praise him yet:
    my God who is my aid.

No comments:

Share |