2/16/11

Psalm 38



Psalm 38
A psalm of David for remembrance

1 LORD, do not in hot displeasure speak in stern reproof to me;
  let your chast'ning be in measure and from burning anger free.

2 For your hand most sorely presses; fast your arrows stick within;
3 wrath my weary flesh distresses, gives my bones no rest for sin.

4 For my manifold transgressions have gone up above my head;
  like a burden their oppressions weigh me down with constant dread.

5 Loathsome are my wounds neglected; my own folly makes it so;
6 bowed with pain, with grief dejected, all day long I mourning go.

7 For my loins are filled with burning, all my flesh with sore distress;
8 faint and bruised, I'm ever mourning in my heart's disquietness.

9   My desire and ceaseless wailing, Lord, unveiled before you lie;
10 throbs my heart, my strength is failing; all the light has left my eye.

11 Friends and lovers whom I cherish, from my plague now stand aloof;
    my own kinsmen, though I perish, come no more beneath my roof .

12 They that for my life are seeking, snares for me in secret lay,
    hurtful things against me speaking, plots devising all the day.

13 As one deaf and dumb appearing, naught I hear nor silence break;
14 I’m as one their words not hearing, and whose lips no answer make.

15 LORD my God in you I’m trusting; you O Lord, will answer me;
16 lest they joy against me boasting, when my slipping feet they see.

17 Since I ready am to stumble, ever with me grief has been;
18 guilt I’ll own with spirit humble, and be sorry for my sin.

19 Full of life and great in number, strong the foes who me withstood;
20 evil they for kindness render, hating me for doing good.

21 O my God, do not forsake me; God of grace, O, do be near;
22 to my helper I betake me; as my Savior, Lord, appear.

Adapted from The Psalms in Meter

Tune: St. Sylvester 8.7.8.7 or " What a Friend we have in Jesus"












No comments:

Share |