2/17/11

Psalm 39

A psalm of David       tune: Old 134th [St Michael] S.M.

1 I said, “I'll watch my tongue,
lest in my words I sin;
when wicked men are in my sight
a muzzle I'll put on.”
2 I said no words at all,
not even words of truth,
3 but my restraint increased my pain;
my thoughts burned in my heart.

And while lost in my thoughts,
the fire burned openly:
4 LORD, let me know my end, I said,
the number of my days.
Show me my frailty.
5 You've made my days so short,
their span is nothing in your sight;
man's life is but a breath.                [Selah]

6 A shadow is each one;
he toils but all in vain;
he heaps up wealth but does not know
to whom it will belong.
7 What then, LORD is my hope?
My hope is fixed in you.
8 Free me from all my trespasses;
don't make me butt of fools.

9 I'm stilled, will moan no more;
from you came this distress;
10 remove from me your chast'ning hand,
lest from your blows I fall.
11 Our sin brings your rebuke
that we may learn your way;
what we would want your moth destroys
to show mankind is vain.                             [Selah]

12 My prayer hear, LORD, my plea;
do not ignore my tears;
your guest I am, I stay with you
just as my fathers did.
13 Avert your angry look
that I may smile again,
before I go away from here,
before I am no more.

No comments:

Share |