2/09/11

Psalm 31



  tune is St. Kevin 76.76.D
 or St. Theodulph
("All Glory, Laud and Honor")
1.1 In You, LORD, I take refuge;
Ashamed let me not be.
Your righteousness eternal
Express by saving me;
2 Incline Your ear to hear me;
With speed deliver me.
To me O be a strong rock,
A fort to rescue me.
2.3 You are my rock and fortress;
For Your sake lead and guide.
4 Free me from nets they've hidden;
My stronghold You abide.
5 I now commit my spirit
Into Your outstreched hand.
I know You have redeemed me,
LORD God of truths that stand.
3.6 I hate those serving idols;
My trust is in the LORD.
7 I'll triumph in Your mercy;
For anguish You regard.
You've known my soul's afflictions,
8 Kept me from hostile hand.
My feet You have established
Where they have room to stand.

9  O LORD have mercy on me,
    For anguish fills my life;
    My eye, my soul, my body
    Are all consumed with grief.
10 My life is drained by sorrow,
    My years with sighing spent;
    I've lost my strength by sinning;
    My bones are weak and bent.

11 To all my foes a byword,
    A dread to those near me,
    A scorn to all my neighbors,
    At sight of me they flee.
12 Like dead men I'm forgotten,
    A broken jar thrown out.
13 I've slanders heard of many,
    And fear is all about.

    When foes conspire against me,
    My murder meditate,
14 In You, O LORD, I'm trusting;
    "You are my God," I state,
15 My times are all in Your hand;
    Free me from foes who chase.
16 Your face shine on Your servant;
    O save me in Your grace.

17 Let me not be ashamed, LORD,
    Because on You I call.
    Ashamed shall be the wicked,
    As dead men silenced all.
18 All false lips shall be silenced,
    Whose speech is insolent,
    Who boldly blame the righteous
    And proudly show contempt.

19 How great the good You've treasured
    For them who worship You,
    Prepared for those who trust You
    Where sons of men may view.
    You by your presence hide them
20 From all men plotting wrongs;
    You keep them in Your shelter
    Safe from the strife of tongues.

21 The LORD be ever bless-ed,
    For he has made me know
    The mercy and protection
    His city walls bestow.
22 I said when filled with panic,
    "I'm cut off from Your eyes!"
    Yet when to You I called out,
    You heard my pleading cries.

23 O love the LORD, you godly!
    The LORD the faithful keeps.
    But He repays the haughty
    That what he sows he reaps.
24 Be strong! He'll keep refreshing
    Your heart with courage great;
    O do with hope and patience
    Upon Jehovah wait.

1 comment:

Harlan Paulson said...

Verses 2,3,8 are about Christian "safe spaces"....
Places in our Lord to hide.

Share |