2/13/11

Psalm 35

 Ps.35
St Matthew CMD
"How Vast the Benefits Divine"
1  LORD, challenge those who challenge me;
    repel those fighting me.
2  Lay hold of buckler and of shield;
    rise up my help to be.
3  Lift up your spear and block the way
    against those who pursue;
    and say now to my fainting soul:
    "I'm your salvation true."

4  Let shame, dishonor fall on those
    who for my life have sought;
    let those who hate me be turned back,
    and to confusion brought.
5  And let GOD's angel like the wind
    drive them away as chaff;
6  and let GOD's angel them pursue
    in dark and slipp'ry path.

7  Since they for me without a cause
    in secret laid their snares;
    without a cause they dug a pit
    to take me unawares,
8  let ruin seize them by surprise;
    let they themselves be caught
    within the snare they laid, and be
    to that same ruin brought.

9  My soul shall in the LORD rejoice,
    in his salvation true.
10 With all my being I will say:
     "O LORD, who is like you?
    You save the humble from the one
    who is too strong for him,
    the one who takes from poor and weak
    that which belongs to them."

11 False witnesses stand up; they ask
    things I know nothing of.
12 They pay back evil for my good,
    so I'm like one bereaved.
13 Yet as for me, when they were sick
    rough sackcloth I put on;
    through fasting I deprived myself;
    kept praying earnestly.

14 As though for friend or brother dear
    I did conduct myself;
    I was bowed down with grief as one
    who for his mother mourns.
15 But when I stumbled they were glad;
    they plotted secretly;
    they never ceased to slander me;
16 they mocked and gnashed their teeth.

17 How long will you observe my plight,
    O you, my sovereign Lord;
    save now from those who would destroy;
    my life save from these lions.
18 To you I will give thanks within
    the congregation great;
    and I will praises give to you
    among a mighty throng.

19 O let not those rejoice who are
     maliciously my foes;
    nor let them mock me with their eyes
    who hate me without cause.
20 For they no friendly greeting give,
    but make up lying words
    against those who within the land
    would seek to live in peace.

21 Base accusations they invent:
    "We saw you doing it!"
22 LORD, you see too, so now speak up;
    Lord, be not far away.
23 Stir up yourself to my defense;
    my cause plead, Lord my God.
24 Judge me, O LORD my God, in truth;
    let them not gloat o'er me.

25 Let them not say within their heart:
    "We've got just what we planned!"
    And do not let them say of me:
    "We're rid of him for good!"
26 Shamed and confounded be all those
     who at my hurt are glad;
    let those who do against me boast
    with shame and scorn be clothed.

27 Let those who love my righteous cause
     rejoice and ever say:
    "The God of grace be magnified;
    he loves his servant's peace!"
28 Your righteousness shall also be
    recited by my tongue;
    the praises which belong to you
    I'll speak out all day long.
 

No comments:

Share |