4/14/11

Psalm 84 paraphrase from 1912


Delight in Church Ordinances. 
1 O Lord of Hosts, how lovely your tabernacles are;
   for them my heart is yearning in banishment afar.
2 My soul is longing, fainting your sacred courts to view;
my heart and flesh are crying, O living God, for you.

3 Beneath your care the sparrow finds place for peaceful rest;
   to keep her young in safety the swallow finds a nest;
   then, Lord, my King Almighty,your love will shelter me;
   beside your holy altar my dwelling-place shall be.

4 Blest they who dwell in your house, whose joy and strength you are;
5 forever they will praise you, your ways are in their heart.
6 though tried, their tears like showers shall fill the springs of peace,
7 and all the way to Zion their strength shall still increase.

True Blessedness.
8  Lord God of Hosts, in mercy my supplication hear;
    almighty and all-faithful, our fathers' God, give ear;
9  our shield and great defender,no longer hide  your face,
    but look upon  your servant, anointed by your grace.

10 In your blest courts to worship, my God, a single day
     is better than a thousand while far from you I stray;
     just standing in your doorway a servant of my Lord
     I choose above all pleasures that sinful tents afford.

11 A sun and shield forever is God, the Lord Most High;
     to those who walk uprightly no good will he deny;
     his saints, his grace receiving, shall soon his glory view;
12 O Lord of Hosts, how blessed is he that trust in you.
This is a favorite with our family.
We named our house from the second stanza:
Sparrow's Rest
Tune :St. Edith

No comments:

Share |