5/08/11

Psalm 102

1 LORD, listen to my prayer for help;
2 hide not your face now I'm in need;
   turn to me quickly as I call:
3 my life's consumed, goes up in smoke.

4 I'm seared like grass and shriveled up:
   I'm in no mind to eat my food.
5 My groaning makes me skin and bones.
6 I'm like an owl in lonely wastes.

   I'm like an owl among the ruins;
7 sleepless, a lone bird on a roof.
8 All day my foes insult my name;
   they rail, they use it as a curse.

9  And ash is what I eat for food,
     my tears are mingled with my drink,
10 because in anger and in wrath
     you've picked me up and cast me down.

11 An ev'ning shadow are my days;
     I'm shriveled up just like the grass.
12 But you LORD, ever are enthroned;
     from age to age your name remains.


13 You will arise, give Zi-on aid,
     when time to favor her is right.
14 Your servants think her stones of worth,
     even her dust to them is dear.

15 Then nation's will revere God's name,
     all kings on earth your glory see,
16 when Zi-on is by GOD restored,
     and thus his glory shall appear.

17 Then he the needy's cry will hear;
     he'll not treat with contempt their prayer.
18 And this deliverance he gives
     will to the coming age be known.

    A people that he will create
    will to the God of grace give praise,
19 when GOD looks down from heav'n to earth,
20 hears pris'ners' groans and sets them free.

21 So men will praise God's name in Zion,
     and in Jerusalem give praise,
22 when peoples meet together there,
     when kingdoms meet to praise the LORD.

23 My strength you've weakened in mid course;
     my days of life you have cut short.
24 ”My God, don't take me in mid course;
     your years throughout all ages last.”

25 You earth's foundations laid of old,
     the heavens are your handiwork;
26 they perish will but you abide
    while they wear out like garments do.

27 Like clothes you change them, they will change;
     but you're the same, your years endure!
28 Your servants' sons will thus live on,
     Their seed secure before your face.

A prayer of an afflicted man when he is faint
and pours out his lament before the LORD.
Tune: Retreat (L M)

No comments:

Share |